The winner of the 2013 Rock the Mic contest is RIANA KURING!
She is only 13 years old and won the entire competition!
We decided to do an interview with Riana so MEG, as well as all of you, could get to know her better.
1. Tell us about your love for singing, how did you get into it?
Riana: I basically grew up around music. On my moms side everyone plays an instrument or sings, so it came to me naturally. I started taking piano lessons at 6 or 7 and then progressed to singing and started to really love it and wanted to pursue it.
2. Who are some of your musical icons/influences?
Riana: I really love Christina Aguilera, Jessie J, Jennifer Hudson, Beyonce, and Katy Perry. Especially Beyonce and Katy Perry, because not only do they have great vocals, but they can put on a show and perform so well. They were what got me into wanting to perform on stage.
3. Have you ever performed in front of an audience before?
Riana: Yes, I’ve performed in front of an audience a couple times before the Rock the Mic contest. I’ve performed at a County Contest for my school, the Apollo Theatre in New York City, Hard Rock, Orlando Citrus Parade in 2012, and at The Orlando Amway Center where I sung the National Anthem for Magic which was pretty exciting!
4. Have you created any of your own music?
Riana: So far I’ve written a few full songs and got rewarded a merit for some of them. I really like to write my own music and look forward to writing more of my own songs in the future.
5. Can you explain your singing style in 3 words?
Riana: I would say; Pop-rock, soul, and funk.
6. What did it feel like to win the Rock the Mic contest?
Riana: It felt like a major accomplishment, I was really happy I won but most of all it was the fact that I accomplished my goal. Doing that felt the best because it let me know that all the hard work and time I put into practicing for this competition was worth it.
7. What are your future plans for singing, and is that what you want to do as a career?
Riana: It is, there hasn’t ever been anything other than singing. Now that I look back it is kind of scary because there is no plan B, I just really want to put all of my effort into become a professional singer.
8. For winning the contest, you got two Grand Prizes including; A Full Production song from Maximum Entertainment Group and a Full Management Agreement by dollfaceMusic. What are your thoughts on that?
Riana: It is an amazing opportunity, especially at my age to have a management and song recording.. I’m so proud to have it.
9. Do you have any social networking sites like a Facebook page, Twitter, YouTube, etc that people could go to to see more of your talent on for more information about yourself?
Riana: I have a YouTube and Twitter: youtube.com/rianakmusic & twitter.com/rianakmusic
One behalf of Maximum Entertainment Group and dollfaceMusic, we would like to congratulate Riana Kuring for winning the Rock the Mic contest, and we look forward to working with her. Be sure to visit her YouTube and Twitter to see more of her talent!